Thursday, June 19, 2008

Village Life


As I gaze out at the glorious sunset over Lake Bosumtwe I am amazed at how beautiful it can be once again. I don’t think you could ever get tired of the change in the sky over the mountains and the lake. Every day it is different and even more gorgeous than the day before it seems.

I have just finished dinner which was very American lol and am now itching to walk into one of the villages. It’s my favorite thing to do in the evenings and this time I have forgotten my torch (flashlight) and stepped into a big mud puddle. I just smile and someone says ‘oh this is just another story that you can write about’. I laugh because everyone notices that I am always writing things down but it’s only because I don’t want to forget a minute of the time that I am here.

One of my favorite things about the Ghanaian culture is the depth of community that they have. Everyone that knows me knows that I talk a lot on the phone but it is not something I like to do. I would much rather sit face to face with you and talk that way. Because of the lack of phones or service around the lake, it is often a necessity to go to find someone to tell them your message or send someone with your message. Oftentimes I have gone on these visits with people because of my love for the village and the friendships they share. I just want to be a part of it while I’m here. Tonight I walked to Adjimim on beaten paths of soft mud and rocks. In the distance I hear many families pounding fufu, the most popular local food which I have helped prepare and have tasted. It is not my favorite but it was definitely fun to make and we invited everyone we saw to come and eat it with us. I think they got a kick out of our reactions and our desire to share the experience with them. Everyone stops to greet you in the village which takes any errand twice as long but also makes it twice the fun! I get to practice my Twi greetings which I am becoming quite a pro at and the people love to hear you say anything in their native language. All around me I hear children yelling and running to me crying out ‘Obruni’ which I don’t think I could ever get tired of hearing. I will miss that when I am gone.


Bugs are flying all around me and it becomes pitch black. People are walking like they can see through the dark and I am stumbling all over myself which just makes people laugh at me all the more. Am I miserable or scared? No way! I am more content that ever before. Why is that? I can become so antsy in other situations but in this village at this moment I am at peace and my heart cannot stop smiling.

I saw some of the workers that have been hired daily to work on the clinic addition and they smiled and came up to me to thank me for buying the group of them bread yesterday. It cost me $3.80 to buy 20 men some bread while they were working and it made a difference in their lives, in addition to the fact that I bought out the bread lady and her work all the sudden was done for the day. Something as small as that speaks to people in a way my words cannot. How amazing, once again, that God has given me this opportunity!

For the last few nights we have been travelling to a village called Ancase to show the Jesus video. We set up out in the midst of dirt and rocks and everyone sits on the ground to watch this 4x4 screen with a projector and an English movie about Jesus. Michael translates every word into Twi. The first night we stepped out of the car, children came running from everywhere and I ran up to them and started singing Twi songs and doing hand motions and hugging children and teaching them how to give high-fives! I CANNOT BELIEVE I AM IN AFRICA!!!!! We finally got the system working through the sound problems (yes they happen all over the world I have realized) and started the movie. At one point a little girl started crying and no one went to get her so I stood up and brought her to where I was sitting and just a few minutes later she was fast asleep. The next night we played some games with the children and I found myself stumbling over rocks and falling on my tail trying to keep up with these kids that can run on rocks barefooted better than I can walk on pavement. This night I sat in the middle of all these black little faces who every other minute glance over to smile at me and I have 10 little hands touching my shoulder or leg or holding my hand. There is a little girl in front of me who continues to tap me on the leg and point to children that are falling asleep. She must remember how I held the girl the night before. Someone takes her up on her offer of my lap and a little girl falls into my lap and is asleep almost immediately. Now I must be dreaming. Michael, who leads the program, calls to those who want to give their lives to Christ and many hands go up. He then asks the people if they want to be healed of any sicknesses and the same amount of hands go up. As he and the girls are praying for these people I start singing There is Healing in this place, Nothing but the blood of Jesus and We are standing on Holy Ground. A sweet presence of the Lord is there and in the dark, with only the light of the moon, people are turning their hearts over to Jesus and then being healed. It is miraculous and powerful.

I know I say this a lot but I cannot believe God has given me this opportunity to live a dream. I have to pinch myself oftentimes and thank God that He has called me for this time, in this season and this place and that other people gave to this dream spiritually, physically and financially. I will be forever indebted to all of you!

I will close with the biggest news on the compound this week. Dr. Juliana Jernigan gave birth to Lucas Jernigan on Saturday. He weighed a little over 8 pounds. Dr. Ju went into labor at about 2pm and we saw her walk across to the clinic. We knew that she would have no pain medication and the closest hospital is about 2 hours away so if there were any complications it was going to be very serious. We saw some of their closest loved ones pacing outside the room praying with all earnestness and we could hear the pain of the Dr. along with the praise and worship music they had playing. Wanting to stay out of the way, the three of us girls sat on our porch waiting to hear the news, praying and seeking God for the Dr. After only three hours we saw our friend Michael run out into the rain pumping his arms and we thought what in the world is he doing. There is no way the baby is already here. But only 20 minutes later we see the Dr. and her whole family including the newborn walking across to their house. You could hear our screams a mile away. We sat there for another hour talking about how inspiring this lady is and what a miracle the Lord has performed in her life. God has been so good!

Stay tuned for more testimonies and news from Lake Bosumtwe!!

1 comment:

Lisa Young said...

Hey Hollie, just read your blog. I am so happy that your dream finally came true. We miss you very much. Cody sends his love and says he misses you in class. We are praying for you daily and we may never make it to Africa personally but through you we can go spiritually. I look forward to seeing more of you adventure and spreading of the gospel. Have lots of fun and make lots of friends which it looks like you have already done. Talk to you soon.

You sister in Christ,
Lisa Young