Tuesday, July 22, 2008

~These Are Those Special Times~

Saturday was another busy day here. The team is here for just a couple more days and they wanted to work Saturday to get more accomplished so all day we continued to hear the noise of the workers. Louise decided to stay on this side of the lake to hang out with us one last night and we were so excited because we have been missing her. She is actually staying another month now but it was the last night for all three of us to be together since I leave this week. I made hamburger pie for her which was her request and she made me boardwalk fries at my request. I even made pepe by myself for the first time and I think it turned out pretty well by the way it was finished off at dinner. Michael and James came for dinner of course even though they were exhausted. They are such special friends. They have been so tired but they say they are determined to hang out with me every minute I have left here and soon after dinner they start dozing off but refuse to leave. It’s so cute! It’s amazing how close you can get to people in such a short time. After dinner we were talking about the things that we loved about the time we’ve had here and all of us mentioned the crusade at Ancasse, ministering in the villages and the game times and dance times and prayer and singing times. We have had lots of good memories. I had to excuse myself at one point because I didn’t want everyone to see me crying. Please pray for me because God has allowed me to give part of my heart to these people and it is going to be very difficult to leave.





Sunday morning Rebecca and I woke up bright and early to travel to Dompa with Michael and Betrum and set up the sound equipment.

It was a little tricky to do since we were carrying our own generator which had a faulty plug in. We left Betrum to watch the equipment and went back to Amakom to get ready and go to the service. Andrew and Michael, the three roommates and James, Juliana and Anas rode in the Patrol and had a good time praising the Lord and praying before we got there. It was a very special time. We arrived in Dompa and I went over to the drummer almost immediately to ask if he knew the Jehovah song I love so that I could sing it for the part that Andrew asked me to do. He got very excited and it was actually the first song they sang. It was an amazing time of worship and dancing in the middle of the square and we had so much fun with all the Dompa churches. I sang a couple of songs with the kids when it came my turn, one in Twi and one English one. It was a lot of fun. The Irish group sang a couple of songs with the people as well and everyone enjoyed it.

Andrew and Michael started praying for the sick as I started singing ‘there is power in the blood’. Many people including the chief came forward in faith believing that God would heal them. I believe He did and will. Andrew brought the word of God and Michael interpreted. Andrew at one point just handed over the rest of the service to Michael and he took over with passion and authority. It was really awesome to see them tag teaming. More people got up to say something and it turned into a sermon each time. Lol.





I turned to Juliana and asked if she was next…I don’t think she appreciated that. We then cleaned up the system and walked to the car. They offered us minerals and cookies which was a very nice, expensive gift for them to give. The sun was fierce but we had a special time of fellowship with our Ghanaian friends. Andrew got a little crazy on the way home jostling us around in the back and Betrum hit his head on the roof many times lol…we could not stop laughing. It’s amazing the special little moments we have together with the people we have met. I cherish every one and I find myself thinking that inside these people will always have a place.

After lunch I walked to Adjimim for a local football match between Amakom and Adjimim. I was so surprised when I got there to see people in official jerseys, warming up, with the crowds gathering.

I had some of the greatest fun I have had here, if that is grammatically correct. Haha.

I teased a guy about being the football police because he yelled at people to move back the whole game, I played clapping games with the children and towards the end moved over to the Adjimim side to cheer with the ladies because Adjimim was beating Amakom 5-2. Being an NC State fan I am tired of losing so I decided to move to the winning side and boy did I ever hear about that. People at the clinic were actually asking which side I was going to cheer for at the match scheduled for Friday. I told them that as long as Amakom was winning I would cheer for them. They just laughed but the coach called a practice today after I told him they needed more practice. That is hilarious! Hearing Akua from the children and the villagers does my heart good and the camaraderie that I felt there is irreplaceable.

This is my friend Atta(Twin) Michael who was determined to hold my things the whole game. I was the only Obruni in the middle of a couple hundred Obibinis and I loved it! I strapped a sleeping baby to my back and got some hooting and hollering once again! When you embrace them just as they are and see them smile it does something inside your heart that you can’t even explain.

Tonight I walked to Amakom to see my seamstress, who has actually become a friend I love dearly, and she was playing Ludo with a guy and we sat in to join them. We had a blast laughing and cheering for each other outside this small room the girl rents with a very dim light to see. It is a custom to see people off and Grace walked us to the bottom of our hill through the village of Amakom when it was time for us to leave. It is such a sweet custom that I love and it makes you feel like your visit was very important and special. She asked us over again tomorrow night and I look forward to the fellowship.

Speaking of customs, I think I would like share with you one of my favorite. It is totally and completely acceptable to pick your nose here and I got a few shots at the football game to prove it.
I know you think these are just children but I can assure you that young and old alike get in on this action with no shame involved at all.

No comments: