Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Visit from Efrea

These last couple of days have been absolutely amazing. On my way from the north through Kumasi I picked up a dear friend that I met in Accra at the very beginning of my journey and she came to the lake with me.

We caught the boat over with the team on Sunday morning and went straight to church. She has been such a blessing and the last few days have been blessed because of her. Sunday I was itching for some fried yam and pepe which we didn’t have any of the ingredients for and so our first adventure was searching through the streets of the villages to find tomatoes, red pepper and yam. We found the onion but nothing else lol. We had a change in plans. Rebecca ended up making French toast and Efrea made fried eggs with the onion. It was very good. We were soon tired though because of the long day and went to sleep. The next morning I was on a mission to get some of my cloth sewn and Efrea helped me find the seamstress that we talked to at church on Sunday and try to explain what I wanted. We walked all over Amakom looking for different things that she needed. After lunch I was determined to take Efrea down to the lake and boy did we have some fun. She quickly realized why I love the villages and the lake so much. We talked to many fishermen and ended up buying plenty plenty fish most of which to give Efrea to take home with her to her family.

Some of the boys at the lake cleaned the fish for us thank God since I’m not too good at that and we were so thankful.


We played ludo and mancala and took some pics.


We came home very tired and on the way up the hill Efrea informed me that the hill to the clinic was much easier to climb down than up. Lol. I think the city girl got a run for her money on all the hills around here. She was such a help though…she fried the fish for us and made some rice. It was a very good meal. We had a very fun girls night with a small visit from the guys and turned in.
This morning Efrea was at it again making eggs with tomato and onion. We travelled down into the villages again to find water and talk to some people. I enjoyed using my small small Twi and learning more from Efrea. I introduced her to the chief of Amakom and also YaYa. We then travelled to Ancasse to go to the salon so I could get some braids. On our way the rain came and the chief of Atafram's wife saw us and begged us to sit on her porch while it rained. We had good fellowship with her.
After the rain we continued on to Ancasse. It was a lot of fun sitting and talking to the ladies there and seeing what it is like to hang out in an African salon.

I finally got my wish and Efrea made fried yam and pepe before she left. It was so hot but so good. I was so very sad to see her go and I begged her to stay longer but she doesn’t have much time left in Kumasi before she heads back to Accra and she has a funeral this week. We had such a blast though and it was a God thing that she was able to come. I know I will be asked where my friend is many times in the days to come. I walked her to the lake for her to catch a ride over on the boat and the rain came hard. She said later that the boat almost sank. lol I grabbed a plantain leaf and started walking but was soon surrounded by obibinis who thought I should not get wet at all. Rebecca of course somehow saw me walking past the office up to the house and was camera ready. I thought the shot was so cute and an amazing photo op!

No comments: